Residence Hall Scrapbooks
04.RH

Summary Information

Repository
Eastern Michigan University Archives
Title
Residence Hall Scrapbooks
ID
04.RH
Date [bulk]
Bulk, 1940-1971
Date [inclusive]
1940-1995
Extent
30.4 Linear feet 21 oversize boxes, 1 archives box
General Physical Description note
XXX require refoldering, rehousing, and/or major preservation, conservation concerns.
Language
English
Abstract
The Residence Hall Scrapbooks document the lives and activities of residents living in Brown, Buell, Downing, Goodison, and King Halls. Each of these residence halls were named after some of Michigan State Normal College's influential faculty members. The scrapbooks date 1940-1995, with the bulk of information from 1940-1971.

Preferred Citation note

Please cite materials from the University Archives in the following manner: Item. Collection Title. Eastern Michigan University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Historical Note

Brown Residence Hall was constructed in 1949 and was named for  James M. "Bingo" Brown. Brown was born in 1892. He served as Michigan State Normal College's as an assistant professor of physical education from 1923- 1927. From 1927 until his retirement in in 1962 Brown was the school's Dean of Men. Brown died in 1965.

Buell Residence Hall was dedicated on 1958 March 15. The building was named for  Bertha G. Buell, born in 1874 in Decatur Michigan. Buell graduated from Michigan State Normal School in 1893, and went on to further her education at the University of Michigan and Radcliffe College. Buell was a member of the History Department at Michigan State Normal College from 1899-1937, and was the Dean of Women during the summer of 1917. During her time at MSNC, Buell organized the first League of Women Voters on campus in 1920. Her organization served as the model for college campuses across the country. Buell retired with professor status in 1937. She died in 1951.

Downing Residence Hall was constructed in 1957. The building was named for former professor of English,  E. Estelle Downing. Downing was born in Romulus, Michigan and was educated by several institutions of higher learning including Olivet College, Michigan State Normal School, University of California, and the University of Michigan. Downing was appointed to the English Department soon after she completed her schooling at MSNS where she taught from 1898-1938. She was an active and energetic professor and member of the Ypsilanti community. Downing died in 1950.

Goddard Residence Hall was constructed in 1955, the twin of Jones Hall. The building could house 1200 students and was originally housed female students. The building was named for  Mary A. Goddard, professor of botany from 1900-1939. Goddard was born in Winebago, Illinois, January 23, 1870. She was a teacher in the schools at Winebago and Harvard, Illinois for several years. After a year of work in the Ann Arbor High School, she entered the University of Michigan and graduated in 1900. From early childhood she was a lover of nature and the outdoors, following her graduation she became a teacher of botany at Michigan State Normal College, where she continued teaching until her retirement in 1939. Goddard passed away in 1941.

Goodison Residence Hall was built at the same time as King Hall in 1939. The building's main function was a women's dormitory. Goodison Hall was named for  Bertha Goodison. Goodison was born in Ypsilanti in 1868. She attended the Detroit School of Arts from 1890-1892, Michigan State Normal School from 1892-1894 and also spent time studying at Harvard University, Columbia University. Goodison also spent time completing studio work in Paris and Florence. She held several positions in Michigan Public Schools including Perceptress and Supervisor of Drawing. In 1900, she became an instructor in the Art Department at Michigan State Normal School. Goodison taught in the Art Department until until 1937, and served as head of the department from 1918-1937. Goodison died in 1937.

Jones Residence Hall was constructed in 1948 to accommodate the ever growing student population. Goddard and Jones were designed on the same plans as King and Goodison. The two dormitories formed a square around an enclosed central courtyard. The building was named for  Lydia I. Jones, Dean of Women, 1924-1939. Jones was born in Middle Granville, New York, July 4, 1878. She received her B.Ph. from Cornell University in 1900, her M.A. from Columbia. After graduation from college, she taught English in Olean, New York, three years later she was Perceptress of the Washington Irving High School, Tarrytown, New York. Later she was Dean of Women at State Teachers College, San Jose, California. In 1924, she came to Ypsilanti, where she served for fifteen years. During her career the housing standard for women was raised and paved the way for residence halls. Jones died at her residence in Randolph, Vermont, February 4, 1958.

King Residence Hall was the first dormitory for women on Michigan State Normal College campus. It was constructed in 1939 and was named for  Julia Anne King. King was born in 1838 in Milan, Michigan. She attended Michigan State Normal School and graduated in 1858. King taught in several school districts and college around the state of Michigan before returning to Michigan State Normal School in 1881 as the school's Dean of Women. She also served as the first head of the History and Social Science Department until her retirement in 1914. After retiring King was named professor emeritus and would often give lectures on campus about her favorite subjects. King died 1919 May 5.

Phelps Residence Hall was constructed in 1966, and is now adjacent to Eastern Eateries, Sellers Hall, Walton Hall, and Putnam Hall.  Jessie Phelps, for whom the building was named, was born on January 12, 1870, in Pontiac, Michigan. She received her education at the Pontiac public schools, and the University of Michigan where she received her Bachelor of Science degree in 1894 and her graduate studies in 1898, majoring in zoology. In the summer of 1898, Phelps worked with William Sherzer, head of the Michigan State Normal College, Natural Science Department, at the Chautauqua Summer School in New York. The following fall, Phelps came to Ypsilanti to work as Scherzer’s assistant; eventually becoming a permanent member of the department. At MSNC, she taught zoology, physiology, and hygiene. During her teaching years, approximately 12, 000 students passed through her instruction. Phelps retired from Michigan State Normal College in June of 1939.

Sellers Residence Hall was constructed in 1966. The building is named after  John A. Sellers. Sellers was born 1896 August 23 in Fostoria, Ohio. Sellers was educated in the field of chemistry from Manchester College and the University of Illinois. Prior to earning his Ph.D. in Chemistry, Sellers was a teacher in rural schools in Ohio and school principal in Indiana. He became an associate professor of chemistry at Michigan State Normal College in 1929, and in 1948 he became professor of chemistry, position held until he became head of the department. He remained head of the department until his untimely death in 1961.

Wise Residence Hall was built in 1962 to once again accommodate the growing student body. Wise was able to house 322 students and included meeting rooms, laundry facilities, and recreational areas.  Margaret E. Wise was born November 16, 1866, on River Street, Ypsilanti, Michigan. Her first six years teaching were spent in the public schools of Charlotte and Grand Rapids, Michigan, and her remaining years were spent at Michigan State Normal College. Her first 34 years at M.S.N.C. were spent as a critic teacher, and the last twelve as Director of Placement. She retired in 1939 from a career of 52 years in the field of education. Wise died in Clearwater, Florida, on March 21, 1957.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Eastern Michigan University Archives 2014 January 20

Halle Library, Room 310
Ypsilanti, Michigan, 48197
734-487-2673
lib_archives@emich.edu

Revision Description

  2014 July 30

Conditions Governing Access note

Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • College campuses
  • Eastern Michigan University
  • Residential Life
  • University women

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Brown 

Box Object

 1961-1966 

1 1

 1966-1970 

1 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Buell 1958-1961 

Box
2
Object
1

Return to Table of Contents »


Downing 1966-1971 

3 1
Box Folder

Downing, Goodison & King 1940-1950 

10 1-2

Jones 

Box Object

 1996-1997 

15 1

 1997-1998 

13 1

 1998-1999 

12 1

 2004 

14 1

Undated 

16 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Goddard 

Box Object

 1995-1996 

20 1

 1996-1997 

22 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Goodison 1952-1954 

Box
8
Object
1

Return to Table of Contents »


King 

Box Object

 1940-1949 

4 1

 1944-1945 

9 1

 1947-1956 

5 1

 1956-1966 

6 1

 1966-1968 

7 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Phelps 1992-1993 

Box
19
Object
2

Return to Table of Contents »


Phelps-Sellers 

Box Object

 1997-1998 

19 1

 1998-1999 

18 1

 2000-2001 

22 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Sellers 

Box Object

 1994-1995 

11 1

 1997 

17 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Box Object

Walton-Putnam 2000-2001 

21 1

Wise 2001-2002 

17 1