Sherzer Hall records
015.ShH

Summary Information

Repository
Eastern Michigan University Archives
Title
Sherzer Hall records
ID
015.ShH
Date [inclusive]
1903-2010
Extent
3.2 Linear feet 1 archive box, 1 flat file drawer, 1 oversized box
Language
English
Abstract
Built in 1903 to house the Department of Natural Sciences, the building was designed by E. W. Arnold of Battle Creek, In 1922, the Natural Science Building was further updated when a 10-inch refactor telescope was installed on roof of building. Renamed in 1957 for Dr. William H. Sherzer, professor of geology and head of the Department of Natural Sciences (1892-1932), the building has sustained two fires one in 1973 and another which almost destroyed the building in 1989. Sherzer Hall, home to the Art Department since 1992, still remains tied to the natural sciences with the rooftop observatory's continued use by the Department of Physics and Astronomy. The Sherzer Hall records provide a comprehensive history of the structure, from its initial construction including the floor plans, and photographs, and documents the fire that almost destroyed the structure in March of 1989. The  Sherzer Hall records have been divided into two series:  Building history and  Building fire.

Preferred Citation note

Please cite materials from the University Archives in the following manner: Item. Collection Title. Eastern Michigan University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative History

Built in 1903 to house the Department of Natural Sciences, the building was designed by E. W. Arnold of Battle Creek with original plans calling for classrooms on the first floor and offices for the professors above. In 1922, the Natural Science Building was further updated when a 10-inch refactor telescope was installed on roof of building.

Renamed in 1957 for Dr. William H. Sherzer, professor of geology and head of the Department of Natural Sciences (1892-1932), the building has sustained two fires. In 1973, a small fire caused $10,000 in damage, all of which was completely restored. On March 9, 1989, the building burned with 50% of the exterior and 70% of the interior destroyed. Within 18 months, the building was entirely rebuilt, replacing wood flooring with concrete slabs and adding an elevator shaft to make the building ADA compliant. Quinn Evans Architects in partnership with the Historic Preservation program at Eastern Michigan University received joint recognition from the International Masonry Institute in 1992 for the excellent reproduction of Sherzer Hall’s original masonry techniques. Sherzer Hall, home to the Art Department since 1992, still remains tied to the natural sciences with the rooftop observatory's continued use by the Department of Physics and Astronomy.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents

The Sherzer Hall records provide a comprehensive history of the structure, from its initial construction including the floor plans, and photographs, as well as documenting the fire that almost destroyed the structure in March of 1989.

The Sherzer Hall records have been divided into two series:  Building history and  Building fire. The Building history series includes published histories of the building, news clippings, events records, drawings and images of the building, materials from its rededication in 1958 and from its Centennial in 2003. The Building fire series includes materials relating to the two fires (1973 and 1989) and the 18 month building restoration that took place from 1989-1990.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Eastern Michigan University Archives 2012 January 12

Halle Library, Room 310
Ypsilanti, Michigan, 48197
734-487-0020

Revision Description

  2012 February 22

Conditions Governing Access note

Open for research, floor plans available upon request. Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to use through the University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Materials:

For information regarding William H. Sherzer, please see his official records in the University Archives. For photographs of the building, see the Sherzer Hall building picture files.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Personal Name(s)

  • Sherzer, W. H. (William Hittell), 1860-1932

Subject(s)

  • Architecture, Romanesque
  • Buildings
  • College campuses
  • Eastern Michigan University
  • Historic preservation.
  • National Register of Historic Places

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Building history 1903-2010 

Scope and Contents

Records include news clippings, a history of the structure, and the events relating to the March 9, 1989, fire and the buildings eventual restoration.

Published history 1903-2006 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307024766314)   1 1

News clippings 1941-2010 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307024766314)   1 2

Events 1987-2003 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307024766314)   1 3

Recreated images 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307024766314)   1 4

Rededication February 28, 1958 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307024766314)   1 5

Centennial celebration 2003 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307024766314)   1 6

FlatFile

Floor plans 1968 

D11

Photograph of Sherzer Hall 


    Box Object
Realia (32307024753304)   2 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Building fire 

Fire and restoration 1989-1990 


    Box Folder
Mixed materials (32307024766314)   1 7

Report on the inspection and safety evaluation 1988 


    Box Folder
Text (32307024766314)   1 8

Correspondence 1989-1992 


    Box Folder
Text (32307024766314)   1 9-10

Return to Table of Contents »