Library Science Division of the College of Education records
07.LSD

Summary Information

Repository
Eastern Michigan University Archives
Creator
Eastern Michigan University.
Title
Library Science Division of the College of Education records
ID
07.LSD
Date [bulk]
Bulk, 1959-1974
Date [inclusive]
1937-1984
Extent
0.8 Linear feet 2 archive boxes
Language
English
Abstract
The Library Science Division of the College of Education records span from 1937-1983, with the bulk of the records dating from 1950-1974. Materials are comprised primarily of administrative files, correspondence, Library Club student organization records, photographs and publications. Materials were generated by the Library Science program founded in 1949, on the campus of Eastern Michigan College, known today as Eastern Michigan University, located in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The Division was housed within the College of Education a reflection of a curriculum that included courses in library in the school; library materials; advanced reference; organization of the school library; audio-visual aids; and the history of books.

Preferred Citation note

Please cite materials from the University Archives in the following manner: Item. Collection Title. Eastern Michigan University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative History

Library Science at Eastern Michigan College (EMC) grew out of a need for more librarians; in the early 1940s Elise A. Andrews, university librarian, was instrumental in establishing the program. Classes were taught by Andrews, Ms. Rosetereter, Mr. Cleveringa, and others who filled in for teaching elementary and high school organization.

When Andrew retired from EMC in 1952, Margaret M. Robinson was promoted from Roosevelt School Librarian to Professor of the Library Science program. It was Robinson's ambition to teach in a library school and she was a driving force in having the EMC Library Science degree be an outstanding program from its inception.

Library Science became its own department in 1952, and completely reorganized to become a division of the College of Education, however; offices and classes were still located in the University Library. Curriculum included courses in library in the school; library materials; advanced reference; organization of the school library; audio-visual aids; and the history of books. By 1955, the program had approximately 40 full-time students enrolled. Programming was revised in 1960 to meet the new American Library Association (ALA) undergraduate standards.

Students in the program were welcome to participate in the Library Club student organization. The club hosted teas, guest lectures, held an annual book week, and made excursions throughout the state to visit school and city libraries, including the Library of Michigan in Lansing, to help familiarize themselves with the differing types of libraries and to see them in action.

In 1963, a new library building was built behind Goddard Hall and west of the Quirk Theater. Here, the Library Science program had offices, classrooms, and an audio-visual laboratory. Margaret M. Robinson retired from EMU in August of 1968 after almost 32 years of service. The Margaret M. Robinson Scholarship was established to help fund future librarians; first recipient was Joanne Aloe in the spring of 1971. Frances Cook became the new Assistant Professor in 1970, and over 75 students were enrolled in the program. By the early 1980s, enrollment dropped below 10 students, and the University decided to discontinue the program in 1983, after a downsizing effort was put into effect by the Board of Regents.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

The activities of the Library Science Division of the College of Education are documented in this record group of program activities, correspondence, course proposals, curriculum guides, directories, Library Science Club actions and happenings, including finances and photographs, in addition to newsletters and pamphlet publications. The collection is arranged in three series  ADMINISTRATIVE FILES, includes alumni information; course proposals and requests; student directory, 1951-1973; graduate program proposals; and summer courses offered,  LIBRARY SCIENCE CLUB includes administrative records; constitution, campus rules and regulations; finances; and campus activities,  PUBLICATIONS includes the alumni newsletter written by Margaret M. Robinson and Francis Cook, 1955-1973; news clippings, and pamphlets. Materials are alphabetically arranged within the series.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Eastern Michigan University Archives 2012 January 26

Halle Library, Room 310
Ypsilanti, Michigan, 48197
734-487-0020

Conditions Governing Access note

Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

For more information about the Library Science Division of the College of Education, please see the Miss Elise A. Andrews collection, and Miss Margaret M. Robinson biography file; for departmental relations see the Laboratory School of Michigan State Normal College records and the Roosevelt School records at the University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • Eastern Michigan University
  • Eastern Michigan University. College of Education
  • Library science

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Administrative Files 

Alumni Day 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 1

Alumni Letters 1950-1971 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 2

Course Proposals and Requests Correspondence 1952-1968 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 3

Curriculum 1962-1963 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 4

Directory 1951-1973 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 5

Institute for Librarians in Service 1937 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 6

Margaret M. Robinson Scholarship Correspondence 1966-1972 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 7

Open House 1971-1976 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 8

Open House Photographs 1971 


    Box Folder
Graphic materials (32307023987762)   1 9

Press Release 1958 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 10

Proposal for Graduate Courses in Educational Media 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 11

Proposed Graduate Courses 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 12

Summer Courses Offered 1954-1965 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 13

Return to Table of Contents »


Library Science Club 

Administrative Materials 1959-1965 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 1-3
    Box Folder
Text (32307023987762)   1 14-20

Campus Rules and Regulations 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 4

Constitution 1967 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 5

Finances 1968-1973 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 6

Photographs 1953-1962 


    Box Folder
Graphic materials (32307023987770)   2 7

Tea 1964 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 8

Tea 1969 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 9

Return to Table of Contents »


Publications 

Alumni Newsletters 1955-1973 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 10

Clippings 1951-1984 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 11

Pamphlets 


    Box Folder
Text (32307023987770)   2 12

Return to Table of Contents »