Gymnasium Porcelain collection
013.GP

Summary Information

Repository
Eastern Michigan University Archives
Title
Gymnasium Porcelain collection
ID
013.GP
Date
Undated
Extent
0.4 Linear feet 1 display box
Language
English
Abstract
The Gymnasium Porcelain collection consists of a small matching cup and saucer set made of white porcelain with gold trim, depicting the original Gymnasium building on the Michigan State Normal College campus.

Preferred Citation note

Please cite materials from the University Archives in the following manner: Item. Collection Title. Eastern Michigan University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative History

The original Gymnasium building on the Michigan State Normal College campus was built in 1862, located on Cross Street, across from the current Welch Hall parking lot, and was destroyed by fire in 1873; in 1892 the Michigan state legislature contributed 20,000 for the construction of a new gymnasium, which was built in 1892, opened for use in 1894. The Gymnasium featured red brick and two turrets, and was divided in half, with women using one side and men the other. An addition was added in 1913, and in 1961 emergency repairs were completed. Because the building was in such poor condition, it was demolished in 1965.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents

The Gymnasium Porcelain collection consists of a small matching cup and saucer set made of white porcelain with gold trim, depicting the original Gymnasium building on the Michigan State Normal College campus.

The original Gymnasium building on the Michigan State Normal College campus was built in 1862, located on Cross Street, across from the current Welch Hall parking lot, and was destroyed by fire in 1873; in 1892 the Michigan state legislature contributed 20,000 for the construction of a new gymnasium, which was built in 1892, opened for use in 1894. The Gymnasium featured red brick and two turrets, and was divided in half, with women using one side and men the other. An addition was added in 1913, and in 1961 emergency repairs were completed. Because the building was in such poor condition, it was demolished in 1965.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Eastern Michigan University Archives 2013 January 16

Halle Library, Room 310
Ypsilanti, Michigan, 48197
734-487-0020

Conditions Governing Access note

Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.

Accruals note

Donated by Mrs. Clyde Budd, Budd Estates, in 1973. No further accruals are expected.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • Building dedications.
  • Buildings
  • Memorials
  • Michigan State Normal College

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Saucer 


    Box Object
Realia (32307024756521)   1 1

Return to Table of Contents »


Cup 


    Box Object
Realia (32307024756521)   1 2

Return to Table of Contents »