Faculty Men's Club records
010.FMC

Summary Information

Repository
Eastern Michigan University Archives
Title
Faculty Men's Club records
ID
010.FMC
Date [inclusive]
1926-1957
Extent
0.4 Linear feet 1 archive box
Language
English
Abstract
This organization, originally called the "League of Youth", was established as a dinner club of young faculty men in 1924. The original aims and objects of the club include: promoting acquaintance and fellowship among all the men of the faculty; promoting inter-departmental understanding; familiarizing the new men on the faculty with the history, aims and traditions of Michigan State Normal College; promoting harmony among staff members and fostering the supporting educational and administrative policies without bias. The Faculty Men's Club records include meeting minutes, a brief history of the club, attendance records, and dues receipts from 1926 to 1957.

Preferred Citation note

Please cite materials from the University Archives in the following manner: Item. Collection Title. Eastern Michigan University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative History

This organization, originally called the "League of Youth", was established as a dinner club of young faculty men in 1924. The Club had a limited introductory membership of 24, but as the faculty grew in size, the membership increased. Regular meetings consisted of programs largely provided by the members themselves with occasional guest speakers. The club also sponsored an All Faculty Men's Dinner in the fall and two picnics in the spring and summer terms. Around 1940 membership was open to all men on the faculty, and payment of dues became optional. Guest speakers now provide a major share of the programs. The original aims and objects of the club include: promoting acquaintance and fellowship among all the men of the faculty; promoting inter-departmental understanding; familiarizing the new men on the faculty with the history, aims and traditions of Michigan State Normal College; promoting harmony among staff members and fostering the supporting educational and administrative policies without bias.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents

The Faculty Men's Club records include meeting minutes, a brief history of the club, attendance records, and dues receipts from 1926 to 1957.

The Faculty Men's Club records include one file of loose materials and two bound volumes. The  History folder includes materials regarding the history and founding of the club. The  1926-1942 and  1942-1957 folders include bound materials from this period, specifically meeting minutes, dues receipts, membership lists, and notices. Materials in these bound volumes are arranged from newest to oldest within the volume.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Eastern Michigan University Archives 2012 January 12

Halle Library, Room 310
Ypsilanti, Michigan, 48197
734-487-0020

Revision Description

  2012 February 8

Conditions Governing Access note

Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to use through the University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • AFSCME.
  • American Association of University Professors.

Subject(s)

  • Eastern Michigan University
  • Universities and colleges--Faculty.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

History 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307023993877)   1 1

Return to Table of Contents »


 1926-1942 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307023993877)   1 2

Scope and Contents

The minutes and attendance records are bound.

Return to Table of Contents »


 1942-1957 


    Box Folder
Mixed Materials (32307023993877)   1 3

Return to Table of Contents »