Conservatory of Music Scrapbook collection
05.CM

Summary Information

Repository
Eastern Michigan University Archives
Title
Conservatory of Music Scrapbook collection
ID
05.CM
Date [inclusive]
1909-1936
Extent
3.0 Linear feet 3 clamshell boxes
Language
English
Abstract
The Conservatory of Music Scrapbook collection documents the activities and events of the Conservatory using clippings, flyers and concert programs. Records date from 1909-1936.

Preferred Citation note

Please cite materials from the University Archives in the following manner: Item. Collection Title. Eastern Michigan University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Historical note

The Conservatory of Music at Michigan State Normal College taught all students insterested in the study of music. It was established in 1880 by then President Malcolm MacVicar to enhance the reputation of the department. The Conservatory provided many performance opportunities for student recitals and concerts. The Conservatory was meant to support itself by fees charged at these events. Four year long courses were offered from the Conservatory in piano, vocal, violin, harmony and pipe organ. Private lessons were offered to the citizens of Ypsilanti, who were also allowed to share their talents in the music ensembles. The Conservatory of Music was re-named the Music Department in 1955.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Eastern Michigan University Archives 2014 February 13

Halle Library, Room 310
Ypsilanti, Michigan, 48197
734-487-0020

Conditions Governing Access note

Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • Conservatory of Music
  • Michigan State Normal College
  • Music--Instruction and study.
  • Scrapbooks.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Scrapbooks 

Box Object

 1909 

1 1

 1910-1935 

2 1

 1936 

3 1

Return to Table of Contents »