Adonijah S. Welch Hall records
015.ASWH

Summary Information

Repository
Eastern Michigan University Archives
Title
Adonijah S. Welch Hall records +Welch Hall records
ID
015.ASWH
Date [inclusive]
1895-2010
Extent
0.6 Linear feet 1 archives box and 1 halfsize box
Language
English
Abstract
The Adonijah S. Welch Hall collection includes building specifications, illustrations, documents, news clippings, fact sheets, building reports, and building rehabilitation documents. Welch hall was built in 1896 with renovations completed in 1900, 1909, 1974, and 1988. Documents in the collection from 1895 to 2010, with the bulk of materials dating from 1985-1989 during the last building rehabilitation.

Preferred Citation note

Please cite materials from the University Archives in the following manner: Item. Collection Title. Eastern Michigan University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative History

Welch Hall, designed by Malcomsom and Higginbotham of Detroit, was named after Adonijah S. Welch, the first principal of the university. The building was erected in 1895 and first named Training School Building until being renamed Adonijah S. Welch Hall in 1925. The building was originally used for teacher training and currently houses administrative and executive offices. The building was renovated in 1900, 1909, and 1974 due to class size increases and again in 1988 by Louis G. Redstone Associates, Inc. due to structural decline. Adonijah S. Welch Hall was rededicated March 29, 1987.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

The Adonijah S. Welch Hall collection spans from 1895 to 2010, with the bulk of the collection dating from 1985-2010. The collection is arranged in two series, Building Specifications and  Drawing and Building Rehabilitation. The first series includes building specification, illustrations, fact sheets, proposals, reports, correspondence, minutes,and news clippings. The second series includes news releases and rehabilitation documents.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Eastern Michigan University Archives 2013 March 22

Halle Library, Room 310
Ypsilanti, Michigan, 48197
734-487-0020

Conditions Governing Access note

Researchers are asked to request materials 24 hours prior to visiting the the University Archives.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Personal Name(s)

  • Welch, Adonijah S.

Subject(s)

  • College campuses
  • Eastern Michigan University
  • Eastern Michigan University. College of Education
  • Michigan State Normal College
  • Michigan State Normal School
  • National Historic Landmarks Program (U.S.)
  • National Register of Historic Places

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Building Specifications and Drawings 

Box Folder

Building Specifications 6 September 1895 

1 1

Illustrations 

1 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Building Rehabilitation 1985 

Box Folder

Building Facts and Information 

1 3

Building Proposals 

1 4

Building Reports January 1985 

1 5

Correspondence 1978-1990 

1 6

Minutes and Agendas 1982-1987 

1 7

News Clippings 1982-2010 

1 8

News Releases 1984-1988 

2 1

Rehabilitation Documents 

2 2-3

Return to Table of Contents »